KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Baby, It's Cold Outside!


This is what I saw when I looked out of the window onto our drive this morning.


I put the kettle on and the Xmas tree lights and took DH a cup of tea.


I then enjoyed the peacefulness of drinking my tea whilst watching the Xmas tree lights inside flickering between their different colours and the silent snow falling outside to carpet the ground with its crisp white newness. This is snow at its best before it becomes all slushy and nothing more than a load of murky water.

I managed to finish most of my Xmas knitting and I think it probably goes without saying, given my prolific scarf production, that a lot of people got scarves this year. There are some things I can't show yet because, for us, Xmas will be celebrated again some time in January when we will see certain special people that we didn't see at Xmas and give them their gifts in person.

As this is primarily a knitting blog, I'll show some of what I received in the way of knitting related Xmas presents. First, roses, chocolates and wine.


What, not knitting related? If you consider that I could have a chocolate and a sip of wine at the end of every row and contemplate the roses in between, then you can see that they are definitely knitting related.

Then, a new iPod (to replace my malfunctioning one) along with charger and case. This is so that I can listen to my personal music compilations whilst I knit.


A bear calendar, bear key ring and a book on how to grow old disgracefully.


The bear calendar will help me to plan my knitting year and the bear key ring is so that the bear can look after my keys whilst I'm stash hunting. As for the book on how to grow old disgracefully, the very useful tips in this book will help to ensure that I'm as delinquent as I possibly can be in between time spent knitting and, probably, whilst knitting, too.

The last one I'm going to show is unarguably knitting related and was a real surprise in that I didn't expect that DH would get it for me although I did hint rather strongly at one time that if, by chance, he ever came across any Alice Starmore books, they wouldn't go amiss.


DH also bought me a dress form which I've been wanting for some time as I've seen them on other people's blogs modelling their various creations and thought it was a good idea. This will apparently be delivered by 9th January. I was more than pleased with all my lovely presents and feel very lucky.

Then, my in-laws gave me a Xmas cheque, which I promptly spent at the John Lewis sale yesterday by buying this little lot.


This is Debbie Bliss Maya in three colourways (enough to make three garments) and 15 balls of Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky. Both were half price making the Maya only £4.25 for a 100g skein and the Merino Chunky only £1.45 a ball. I'm thinking of felting some of the Maya as, apparently, it felts beautifully but shrinks by 50% so it's just as well it was half price! I started getting real guilt pangs about the amount of yarn I've bought recently but made it okay by telling myself that this is "my vice" and it's a relatively harmless one compared to something like smoking forty cigarettes a day, etc. Also, I give away most of what I buy either in the form of yarn to others or in the form of knitted garments including baby blankets, shawls, etc, that I've knitted for the Preemie Unit. What I get out of it is the sheer pleasure of knitting for others and sometimes for myself and the joy of giving something handmade that I know certain people will appreciate. I think I can live with that.

On Boxing Day I started knitting Wavy from Knitty with the lovely baby alpaca/silk yarn that was gifted to me by Tari. I knew there wouldn't be enough to make a full size scarf so I planned to make a shorter keyhole version. However, just after the half way point I changed my mind and frogged the lot because I decided to make this Cosy Neck Warmer instead.


It is incredibly soft, warm and elegant looking and makes a change from a scarf because there's no ends flapping around to worry about if it's windy. It fastens with just two snap fasteners on the garter stitch edging. I do hope Tari approves of what I did with the gorgeous yarn she sent and I'd like to thank her again for her kindness and generosity.

Finally, I just wanted to mention a wonderful site that I've found for free patterns. It's called Knitomatic and the patterns are listed under Freebies here. I recommend you take a look.

Happy New Year to all!

7 Comments:

  • At 11:56 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    You got Aran Knitting for Christmas? That's a pretty amazing husband!! The neck warmer is lovely. Perfect for that yarn! ANd you know, I received my own yarn today! Tried to photograph it for blog purposes, but the colours came out wrong, so will try again tomorrow. Btw, I totally see the relation between knitting and roses, tea, Christmas tree, chocolate and others things cozy. Couldn't agree more, but would add coffee to the list.

     
  • At 11:47 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    Lovely presents! And as for the sale yarn - wow! Have just shown DB the picture of your sale haul so he knows there are others as yarn-obsessed as me!

     
  • At 9:32 pm, Blogger Woolly Wormhead said…

    Great haul, Hazel! Your DH definitely knows how to buy great knitting pressies.

    Reckon I've now missed all the Maya in the sales as it's now all in your house - have fun with it, as it's lovely yarn. I've not even ventured out to hunt for bargains... must be something wrong with me ;)

    Happy a very happy and guilt free New Year xx

     
  • At 12:36 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    I've tagged you for a New Year meme! See my blog for details!

     
  • At 4:01 pm, Blogger Uknitty said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:06 pm, Blogger Uknitty said…

    Did you go to JL at Bluewater by any chance? I noticed all the Maya but had to resist as I have vowed not to buy any sale yarn unless I have a project in mind for it.

    I did spot the Debbie Bliss Chunky and wanted to get some but there was not enough for the garment I had in mind ! You must have beaten me to it ;)

    Hope you enjoy all the lovely additions to your stash and have a very prosperous and knitty 2006.

     
  • At 12:57 pm, Blogger Sharon J said…

    I used to smoke 50 a day and hurt myself badly by doing so. Now that I no longer smoke, I can afford to spend much more on my hobbies, which are primarily knitting and gardening. You're right to not feel so guilty because there are far worse things you could be doing than knitting beautiful things that you obviously often please others with by gifting them away. ~Sharon x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home