KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sugar and Spice


Well, after Michelle's suggestion for the Charity Craft Fair of pink and fluffy bags with something like a necklace inside suitable for little girls, I had a play and came up with these.


The bag is made in Patons Spritz and the cord is Spritz and some silver coloured metallic yarn crocheted together. I do have some pink funky fur but I decided that this bag had enough glitz as it was so didn't add a fun fur trim!

The bracelet idea came from a pattern in the Knitting Pattern a Day Calendar and I intend to play around with the idea and come up with lots of variations. This one is beautifully soft as it's knitted in some of the Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino I had left over after knitting my Olympic Shawl.


The beads are Earth Faire's raspberry lined crystal and the larger bead which I've used as a fastening is from my Hobbycraft stash. I knitted the bracelet above large enough for an adult but what I really want to know (and I hope some of you will be able to help me here) is (a) what age group of little girls go for this sort of thing; (b) what sort of wrist measurement should I be catering for; and (c) how much do you think could be charged for a bag like this with a beaded bracelet inside. It will be coming up to Christmas by the time of the Craft Fair so I was thinking that people might buy them as stocking fillers.

I've now got some finer yarn to knit the amulet bag for the draw. It's a really lovely shade of Rowan 4 ply Cotton in the Tutti Fruiti shade and the cord will be in Rowan Handknit Cotton in "Diana" which is a beautiful shade of blue.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:55 am, Blogger Rain said…

    Ooo, that's so pretty and such a good idea.

    I can't help you with actual wrist sizes, but I wore bracelets all the way through school and into Uni. I still wear them now in fact, so I think you could hit most age ranges with them.

     
  • At 10:46 am, Blogger Daisy said…

    I agree with Rain. I can imagine Brownie age group (7-11ish) going for anything pink, bright and sparkly. And I think older girls would like them too, but perhaps slightly more restrained ones!
    As for wrist sizes, I'm not sure. I've got teeny tiny wrists (6") so I would have thought some that size and some smaller would cover a wide range of ages?

     
  • At 10:54 am, Blogger T said…

    That's so lovely. Good idea Michelle and well executed Hazel :)

    My daughter is 9 and a half and a bracelet would need to be 8" to get over her wrist but still fit ok. As that one has a fastening it wouldn't need to go over the hand so 7" would be a nice snug fit on her. She is very slight.

    She has gone through the pink and girly phase and out the other side. We had to go and get her some BOYS blue camo trousers from Tesco this morning as she can't find them in the girls' dept ;) Speaking from the girlies I know, pink and fluffy is great for 4-9 ish and then they go for it again maybe in the late teens? That's just the girls I know - they rebel against p&f (pink and fluffy now has an abbrev., lol) for a bit in the middle.

    Like Rain I think bracelets could be suitable for any age and you might just need to tailor them according to taste. I can't think what to do apart from p&f. Bold colours with chunkier beads? I would wear that, lol.

    I would pay £5 for that at a craft fair, as it has its lovely little bag and at Christmas people are looking out for things around about that cost.

    Sorry to go on ....

     
  • At 10:58 am, Blogger T said…

    Thinking about it, I would probably pay more.

     
  • At 11:16 am, Blogger T said…

    £8? I think anywhere between £5 and £10.Pricing things is a toughie isn't it?

    OK, OK, I'm going!

     
  • At 12:33 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    Another thought - red and black stripes seem to be in for the gothy teen types. Although it's a pain to knit in, I don't think you could wrong with a few black ones. Camoflage colours may be a hit too.

    It's hard to know in advance what your market is. A trip to somewhere like Claire's Accesories may give you more of an idea of what kids are into and what sort of prices they are paying for similar items.

     
  • At 12:43 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    Very pretty!

     
  • At 1:23 pm, Blogger Seahorse said…

    I have a 4 year old here who loves it. A snug fit for her wrist would be about 5", to slide on rather than clip, she'd need about 6.5". I agree with the 'middle range' of girls perhaps not liking p&f so much. My 8 year old isn't really into things like that anymore, although she would probably wear one in stronger colours.

    It's really lovely and a great idea btw!

     
  • At 11:09 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    I would go for those bracelets even now - but then I've always been a bracelet wearer. I was going to suggest some geared towards goth as well, black with red, hot pink or teal are good combinations. I think the £5 to £8 mark sounds about right.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home