KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Estonian Lace Dishrag


Fresh off the needles and that's what it looks like presently - a bit like a lace dishrag!


However, let's see what a good wet blocking will do! This is the swatch shawl for my Estonian Lace Christening Shawl and it's quite a large swatch measuring, in it's unblocked state, 27 inches x 27 inches. The proportions will not be the same for the real thing, e.g. the centre will be larger in comparison with the borders and I'll be making other changes, too, but making the sample shawl was a very useful process. Having never knitted a shawl with a centre, borders and edging before in one piece, it was a bit audacious as a first attempt to design one but that's me all over! I also got used to using my new charting software and learnt a few more things on the way that will, hopefully, ensure that the final full sized version is better than it would have been had I not done the sample first.

The home clear out still continues and, as weekends are the only time we can get together to do it, today is allocated for continuing on the garage which will, hopefully, by the end of today, be purged of everything that is just clutter. The rule is if the item in question has not been needed/used for a substantial amount of time and is not likely to be needed/used for a substantial amount of time, then it goes. One is allowed to use some discretion as to what constitutes 'substantial' and this is where the arguments or should I say, debates, begin! So, it's back to work.

Tonight, however, after dinner I know what I'll be doing. Getting a backache from contorting myself in an effort to get the pins in just right the place to try to make something that resembles a sample shawl from the dishrag!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 3:07 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Wow, wow, wow! What an amazing piece of work - even hubby is impressed ;) Anticipation grows to see your work progress on the shawl proper. And I'm really looking forward to seeing your sample blocked.

    Good luck with the continuing clear out!

     
  • At 5:50 pm, Blogger Claire said…

    That is a dishrag I would never want to use! It's absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to see it blocked. I'm also looking forward to your full sized version.

     
  • At 7:11 pm, Blogger Marguerite said…

    It's beautiful unblocked. Can hardly wait to see it blocked.

     
  • At 8:50 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Amazing lace!

     
  • At 10:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A beautiful christening shawl.

    Hope the spring cleanout goes well.

     
  • At 3:49 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said…

    Gasp! (well I don't know how spell the sound I made when I saw your lace) It is absolutely gorgeous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home