KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Sorted and Learning to Tat


Thank you friends for your kind comments. The thing that needed sorting has now been sorted thankfully.

Now, turning to arts and crafts, do you ever think that you'd like to learn something one day but that day never seems to come? I've had a long list of such arts and crafts for quite some time but, lately, have been trying to tick a few off. It's about the fact that, unless you believe in reincarnation and, even if you do, there's no proof that it actually exists, we have a limited time within which to do and achieve all that we would like. So, having a list and not ticking them off suddenly seemed the wrong thing and I determined to try at least a few. This is the reason why you've seen only a limited amount of knitting on this blog lately.

I do have several knitting projects which are almost finished, two need grafting and one needs the provisionsl cast on removed and grafting and, as I currently appear to be averse to grafting, they continue, for the moment, to be placed at the back of the queue.

As some of you may know, I have an interest in learning crazy quilting but have very little experience in any of the skills that go towards making a CQ. Nevertheless, I have started with a few small projects and learned a few embroidery stitches and a few weeks ago started to learn tatting as tatted motifs are great for adding to CQ blocks. Here is my second motif.


It's from a free pattern for a baby card which you can find here.

This is worked in Floretta 20 thread which I couldn't work with in the beginning. Starting with thicker thread and moving onto thinner definitely helped. I wasn't really sure, as a beginner, from the pattern instructions how to do the hearts on the outside so I'm hoping I did them right.

10 Comments:

  • At 7:32 pm, Blogger MimiD said…

    You did a great job for your 2nd motif! The hearts are exactly right. Admittedly it's a little strange to join to the picot that you just made on the current ring without closing first, but the effect is just what you need for a heart-shaped ring. Also, great job on the beads! Be-Stitched has great patterns.

     
  • At 8:53 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Glad to hear you're all sorted out now.

    Love the tatting - when I was at school one of my friends used to tat, I was always fascinated by it. Beautiful work.

     
  • At 9:24 am, Anonymous Georgina (remoteknitter) said…

    Glad to hear that life is less all-consuming!
    Tatting has been on my list since I was about five! Mum had one of those great 1930'2 encyclopedia's of craft - SIL has snaffled it Boo!!
    I love the modern twist you have given tatting with the hot pink and beads!
    What's next on the list?

     
  • At 3:00 pm, Blogger kerrykatiecakes2 said…

    Your tatted motif is lovely, Hazel! Thank you so much for the link!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

     
  • At 5:08 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    Wow, that's amazing for such a early practice piece! It's so pretty.
    But you have a gift for these things! I also love to stop and see what you're up to, even it it's not always knitting!!!
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 1:52 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Oh wow, I must get my tatting out again. I learnt as a teenager but couldn't find anything out about it then (pre-internet!) and never carried on!

     
  • At 4:39 pm, Blogger shirley said…

    Love this motif Hazel, the hearts are lovely.

     
  • At 8:52 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey there! how are doing. guess what I have your oriental blume doll done... hooraay!!!! I will hopefully get out in the mail week. I was looking at your tatting and it is gorgeous. I like to tat but It takes so much time to make the bigger pieces. yours is so pretty. hugs to Lisa

     
  • At 7:15 pm, Anonymous pip said…

    that is absolutely beautiful!! I would have no idea where to start... clever you :)

     
  • At 12:35 pm, Blogger Kerri said…

    I love the tatting! You did a great job. I've wanted to learn for a long time but I just haven't had any luck. Tatting just doesn't come easy to me for some reason.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home