KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Secret Pal Seven Questionnaire


Well, I've decided to participate in Secret Pal 7. This is the first time I've participated and I'm really looking forward to the experience! Below are my answers to the questionnaire.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

I have to be honest and say I do prefer higher quality natural fibres for most of my projects though I do try novelty yarns from time to time as I like to have a bit of a dabble with most things. Have always found novelty and artificial fibres such as acrylic to be disappointing though. Any acrylic in my stash is often used as practice material for new techniques, patterns or stitches.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I don't spin but did attend a spinning workshop last year and would like to take it further but not just yet. I crochet a bit but mostly knit.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Some are in a vase and I have a zipped needle case for the rest. I'm not very organised with the circular needles which are just loose in a drawer at the moment. I do have a Denise set which are, obviously, all nicely organised in their container but only use them if I need the extra length as I'm not keen on plastic needles.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I learnt to knit at about age eight and knitted a lot in my twenties. I had a long break and took it up again last year. As regards my skill level, I find this difficult to answer. In some types of knitting, I'm probably advanced, in others, intermediate but, in yet others, such as sock knitting, for instance, I'm not even a novice as I haven't yet attempted to knit a pair!

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes, I recently created a wish list at Amazon.co.uk which I can give details of if wanted.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I have skin sensitivities to a lot of toiletries but for candles, etc, I like most scents.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I like chocolate (who doesn't) but other than that, I don't generally have an overly sweet tooth.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I'll try my hand at anything but not all that experienced in most other crafts. I used to sew a bit and intend to take this up again. DH bought me a dress form for one of my Xmas presents.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I'm very eclectic in my taste in music but not all that keen on middle of the road type stuff. Yes, my computer can play MP3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love reds, purples, magentas, and clarets but am always trying to move away from this spectrum because when I open my wardrobe it seems very samey. I like most other colours but really don't like brown, orange and, perhaps, beige.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

No children at home now so just DH and me (no pets). Sensitivities to cat and dog fur.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I wear scarves but not into hats in a big way. I wear gloves rather than mittens and don't really like ponchos.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

My absolute favourites to knit with would be natural yarns like wool, cashmere, alpaca, silk, etc, especially hand-dyed or hand painted.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I occasionally knit with novelty yarns to make a change and because they can sometimes look quite nice but not all that keen on artificial fibres if truth be told.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

I have to say, curly whirly scarves. This became a real obsession and I started the Curly Whirlies blog which is a kind of KAL. I still knit the odd one but am beginning to cool off a bit. I would like to steer clear of further obsessions and try to achieve some diversity with my projects.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I don't think I have any favourite as such. I like something to knit that doesn't take too much thinking about if I'm in company, watching TV, etc, but if able to give my full concentration would prefer something that presents a challenge. I really want to challenge myself more with my knitting in 2006.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Louisa Harding button wrap and a couple of scarves.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

I always appreciate handmade gifts.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Depends on what I'm knitting. I find that sometimes straights are best and sometimes circulars depending on the project.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo or other wood are my favourites followed by metal. I really like Addi circulars. I'm not keen on plastic needles though.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

No, but recently have found a need for one!

22. How did you learn to knit?

My aunt taught me.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

About six months old I think.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I'm more interested in wildlife than in pets though, as a child, I was very fond of rescuing stray dogs and bringing them home. Unfortunately, I now have sensitivities to cat/dog fur.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Full of activity as I can easily get bored. I couldn't go abroad and just lie and sunbathe for hours and hours. Anywhere with lots of different (to me) and interesting places, culture, food, etc, to explore/sample would be ideal. Or, if the question means holiday in the other sense of the word, I enjoy Xmas best of all.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

I collect bears but, at present, I have a few too many really. More interesting to me, at the moment, is the collection of buttons I've just started and, also, the haul of beads for knitting that I intend to start soon.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Interweave Knits and Knitters magazines on subscription but I also buy Simply Knitting, Knitting, and Vogue Knitting.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

Books I'm dying to get my hands on are on my Amazon Wish List in the sidebar of my blog and I've also been considering a good book on sock knitting but not sure which one to buy. Yarn that is not easily available in the UK is also interesting.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I'd like to advance with my lace knitting and just generally learn any new techniques I can. I will soon be casting on for my first ever pair of socks. Wish me luck! I'm also planning to incorporate beads into my knitting a lot more.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I haven't knitted a pair of socks yet but have a sock kit ready which I will be trying soon. My shoe size is UK6.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

21st February.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you get a great partner... I shall be envying you as I didn't sign up this time. It was fun to read your answers.

    Thanks for comment too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home