KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Beaded Butterfly


DH came home with the new edition of Simply Knitting yesterday evening and there was my design . . .


. . . on pages 46-51!




I'm really pleased with the way SK have laid it all out and the fact that it's taken up a massive six pages! I was a bit disappointed with the fact that the schematics hadn't been included and also with the way the colour had been reproduced in the printing as the smoke blue of the Sublime Kid Mohair is darker in reality and much more like this photo . . .


. . . which is on the cover.

However, apart from the pattern itself, within the six pages there's an introduction on what inspired the design and how to care for it (washing, etc) with quotes from me and some close up shots of the crocheted edgings and the Rowan mother-of-pearl buttons as well as some photographic illustrations of how to thread the beads onto the yarn and how to knit with beads. Knitz & Glitz also got a mention on the Great Ideas pages where the Knitter Glitter Pencils were featured.


So, overall, as you can imagine, I'm rather chuffed!

Dark blue with beads seems to be a theme at the moment as I've just started to knit Lily Chin's Patagonian Night Sky Scarf from this book. I'm using Rowan Lurex Shimmer in the Midnight colourway and Jaeger beads. One skein and around 400 beads later, this is how it looks.


I had originally intended to use Jaeger Pashmina pure cashmere for this scarf which is an alternative suggested by Lily Chin. However, as this yarn was just about to be discontinued and I ended up with seven skeins of the flannel grey shade, I thought it would probably look more like sky over London on a rainy day than a Patagonian night sky so I decided to go with the Lurex Shimmer after all.

After mulling over this list of triangular shawl patterns recently and this one featuring rectangular shawls, I succumbed to temptation and bought the Leda's Dream Wrap pattern recently from Pink Lemon Twist but, as it requires KnitPicks Alpaca Cloud and KnitPicks don't ship to the UK, I'm now trying to decide which laceweight yarn I could use instead. Suggestions welcome!

A couple of patterns I rather like in the current Vogue Knitting are the multidirectional lace cardi and the lace tank shown below. (Click on photo for more detail).


Articles in the current issue include one on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket with pattern, Neckline Know-How by Nicky Epstein, and one on being inventive with closures, i.e. using something other than buttons on a garment. All in all rather a good issue, I thought.

Last, but by no means least, I'd like to mention Piglottie's handmade cards of which I bought a couple recently.


You can read all about them here. The cards are excellent and all the monies from their sale will go to the Rainbow Trust Children's Charity!

26 Comments:

  • At 8:32 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Hooray for another published design! I'll try and get my paws on a copy of SK this weekend!

     
  • At 8:49 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    Congratulations on your published pattern! That's just amazing! And it's such a beautiful design!

     
  • At 10:27 pm, Blogger Piglottie said…

    Congratulations on getting your pattern published (and its lovely too). I also like the Patagonian Night Sky Scarf. And I'm so happy you like the cards :)

     
  • At 12:25 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Congrats on your lovely pattern being published, they really did a very good "spread" on it in the magazine :-)

    The Patagonian Night Sky looks amazing, the blue was definitely the right colour choice!

     
  • At 8:15 am, Blogger Sweetpea4kids said…

    Contrags on the pattern publication. I'm going out to purchase a copy today, seriously. Thanks for letting me know about Get Knitted/Amy Butler, you brightened up my week.

     
  • At 8:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations Hazel ,that is beautiful.

     
  • At 9:38 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Congratulations on the cardi, and it's high time you got around to knitting that shawl (HOW long ago did you first mention it?!). Hooray for getting back the knitting mojo. Will look forward to seeing the finished shawl!

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Congratulations on having your pattern published, it looks absolutely amazing :)

    Love the new shawl you're knitting, very pretty. The beads look just perfect against the yarn you have chosen.

     
  • At 8:40 am, Blogger Jenn said…

    Another pattern out in a magazine, great job!! :) And it looks lovely, I have our local WHsmith holding my copy Illhave to make sure I go pick it up on Monday now instead of waiting a bit longer. :) The handmade cards do look really lovely as well. :) And the shawl your working on is beautiful love the dark blue.

     
  • At 10:09 am, Blogger Artis-Anne said…

    Oh wow very many congratulations on your published pattern; it looks such a lovely design too.
    Love the shawl you are knitting and the beads are just so perfect on it

     
  • At 8:30 pm, Blogger T said…

    Your design is so pretty, congratulations on being published again :D And it was great to see MY pencils in SK, hehe.

    The Patagonian Night Sky is beautiful! I love that blue.

     
  • At 11:35 am, Blogger Donna said…

    Congratulations on the pattern and the pencils. My stitch markers were featured in the same magazine, on the page opposite the pencils!

     
  • At 3:42 pm, Blogger Kath said…

    We shall have to rename Simply Knitting: Simply Knit Yoga!! Congrats on the published pattern, Emily said it was beautiful and I quite agree! I love the shawls you've been making recently - River and Night Sky are both lovely and the other one is as well so I look forward to seeing that knit up!

     
  • At 4:10 pm, Blogger Badger said…

    Congratulations, the pattern looks fantastic! You must be so proud of yourself, really well done :)

     
  • At 8:06 pm, Blogger artyfartykat said…

    Well done you! The pattern is so pretty and feminine, its beautiful.
    Love the latest shawl too!

     
  • At 9:46 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    I am so dippy. Despite reading the magazine from cover to cover (and admiring the cardi) I didn't realise the designer was you. Congratulations!

     
  • At 8:55 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said…

    That`s brilliant - I loved the pattern in SK, hadn`t twigged it was YOURS! Well done.

     
  • At 7:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done, it looks amazing! and the scarf is simply adorable.

     
  • At 9:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this, I do like well designed and fitted garments and this one is a hit, well done Hazel and I'm glad you got a good spread, more power to your needles and start planning your own book now!

    Jan

     
  • At 1:20 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    and so you ought to be chuffed. Well done.

     
  • At 5:51 pm, Blogger shandy said…

    Lovely jacket. You have been busy. That stole is just wonderful.

     
  • At 10:14 pm, Blogger gilraen said…

    It is georgeous and worth buying the mag for alone. Kudos to you :D

     
  • At 2:12 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    Congratulations - it looks stunning! I hope I'm not too late to get hold of a copy.

    The shawl looks absolutely beautiful so far. You must have the patience of a saint for all those beads.

     
  • At 12:31 am, Blogger Saleris said…

    I've just bought a copy of the magazine and yours was the pattern I liked the most. I'm planning to knit it for a goddaughter's birthday present.
    It's good to know that the yarn isn't as bright as the internal photos suggest.

    Thank you for a lovely pattern!

     
  • At 8:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Hazel, I hope you are ok? Probably too busy making another wonderful creation!

    By the way, I have just tagged you for the MeMe test, check my blog to find out more.

     
  • At 7:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oooh I didn't realise I 'knew' the designer of this cardi!!!! It's beautiful :-) Congratulations!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home