KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Maidstone Knitters' Inaugural Meeting


Yesterday was our knitting group's inaugural meeting and it took place here.

The Muggleton Inn, (Wetherspoons), 8 High Street, Maidstone
(just opposite the Town Hall).

We'll be meeting on the second Saturday of each month from 1-3pm in the upstairs lounge where there's a non-smoking, spacious area with a pleasant ambience. If anyone joins us who can't manage the stairs, of course, we'll move downstairs which, I believe, also has a non-smoking area.

There were three of us at our first meeting which isn't that bad for a first meeting and we're hoping that it will grow as time goes on and more knitters get to know about us. We've already had a couple of new enquiries so hope that more will be joining us next time. That's Jan on the left, in the middle is Mary-Lou and I'm on the right. On this occasion, we didn't get an awful lot of knitting done because we were too busy celebrating our first meeting with a bottle of pink champagne.


We decided to name our group Maidstone Knitters and have our own blog which will be administrated by all three of us. A site for our group will be a good way of letting others know what we're up to especially knitters who might be interested in joining us. Anyone else who joins will have the option of being a team member so that we can all keep one another updated.

Mary-Lou was wearing her boa (details on her blog) and Jan wore her clapotis. The lovely sparkly thing (no, not the champagne) that you can see on the table is a scarf that Mary-Lou is knitting in Sirdar Zanzibar.

I gave Jan two balls of Debbie Bliss Merino DK as a swap for the apple green Debbie Bliss Chunky Merino she let me have so that I can finish the scarf I started. Here she is with part of the swap in one hand and a glass of bubbly in the other.


I really like this photo of a close up of the champagne. (Thanks, Mary-Lou for holding the bottle while I took the photo!)


The thought crossed my mind that, perhaps, we could call our club the Rose Sauvage Knitting Club and adopt this photo as our logo (just joking).

Anyway, if any Kent knitters are reading this and would like to join us, you will all be very welcome. Also, if any knitters find themselves in the area and would like to meet up, let us know when you will be in the locality as it would be lovely to meet you!

When I got home I had a dessert to make in preparation for a lunch with friends the following day (i.e. today). I decided to continue the decadence in my creation of a recipe using these ingredients.


1 Panettone cut into slices
15 fluid ounces and a splash of Asti Spumante
5 eggs (separated)
5 tblespnfuls sugar
2 x 9oz cartons mascarpone cheese
5 fl oz double cream
flaked almonds for sprinkling on top

First separate the eggs and whisk the egg yolks and a splash of Asti Spumante with the sugar until thick. Add mascarpone and whisk until smooth. Add cream and whisk until smooth. Whisk egg whites until stiff (as if for meringue) and fold egg whites into creamy mixture. Put Asti Spumante into a shallow bowl and dip slices of panettone into it to moisten them. Layer a large bowl with the Asti soaked panettone slices. Follow with a layer of the creamy mixture.


Repeat with another layer of Asti soaked panettone slices.


Then another layer of the creamy mixture. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and refrigerate overnight to make sure that the flavours are fully incorporated.


I decided to call it Dionysian Decadence and it was rich but delicious . . . . . mmmmmmmmm!

Bob giving it the thumbs up!

11 Comments:

  • At 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely decadent but I can still manage a second helping!!!
    Bob x

     
  • At 6:29 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Cool location for your knitting group - it sounds very Harry Potteresque! Pink champagne sounds like a Good Thing too. Now all I have to do is find an excuse to be in Maidstone. Hmm....

     
  • At 7:22 pm, Blogger Sharon J said…

    I'll definitely try to arrange a visit to the in-laws during a second weekend of the month so that I can pop over and join you at Weatherspoons. It's always nice to meet other knitters and especially those who are as friendly as yourself :) ~Sharon

     
  • At 8:19 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Great photos, and the pudding looks wonderful too! - it was really good to meet up with you and Jan finally, and looking forward to the next one ...!

     
  • At 11:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a wonderful start to the knitting group! Hope you have many more happy meetings.

     
  • At 1:11 am, Blogger Fred said…

    Like Daisy I'll have to make an excuse to be in Maidstone just to sample the dionysian dessert!

     
  • At 11:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good luck with the group - sure it will grow!

    And what a wicked dessert.... looks fab.

     
  • At 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Best of luck with Maidstone Knitters.

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is just a short note from your Secret Pal!!! I have quite a hard time to contact you, obviously the information I got are not correct. And now I hope I can post this comment!
    I have sent you another (the third!!!) e-card today (after I contacted my sp7-hostess!) have you got it?????
    Well, things can only get better.... :-))))
    your
    Secret Pal

     
  • At 11:18 am, Blogger KnitYoga said…

    Hello Secret Pal! So glad to hear from you! Sorry you're having all this trouble. No, I haven't received any of your ecards at all but I know my secret email address is working because I've had emails from the hostesses come through okay and also from my other pal. Suggest we both get in touch with the hostesses to try to sort it out as I think you must still have the wrong details! Anyway, really looking forward to chatting with you again soon.
    Take care!
    Hazel

     
  • At 9:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi my name is rita and would like to possibly join your group! Are you still running it? I'm a bit embarrassed as I cant knit but eould love to learn hopefully it's not too late I'm 61!!! Best wishes Rita

     

Post a Comment

<< Home