KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Handspun from OSSP & Crocheting with Wire


Just look at what my wonderful one skein secret pal sent me for July! The package containing several nicely and separately wrapped items arrived in the post yesterday. Inside I found 75g of the most amazing handspun yarn being (in my pal's words) plum, chocolate and purple merino singles plied with two very fine silk yarns in the palest of greens AND 25g of handspun merino in three colours. Also included in the package was a note on a very nice Liz Rice postcard "The Aspis" (a quilted hand-rolled felt) and two tubes of beads in gorgeous shades of blue and green.

Click on photo to enlarge

I'm just so thrilled with everything and am feeling so lucky that I have such an accomplished pal who can spin and dye to such an excellent standard and who has actually spent all that time spinning this yarn for me! I'm thinking to knit something with these two yarns using the smaller skein as a trim but I'm not a great hat wearer so will think of something else. Apart from the wonderful colours, the merino is so luxuriously soft I just want to keep petting it. I don't know how she could bear to part with it but I'm very glad to have it!


And here's my first attempt at crocheting with wire.

Click on photo to enlarge

It's a crocheted wire choker inspired by a similar one I saw in the current Bead and Button magazine and was worked on 3.5mm, 4.0mm, and 5.0mm steel crochet hooks in 28 gauge wire in a gunmetal colour. The central medallion is silver plated and it fastens with a red and navy paisley style button and a beaded loop.


EDIT: The above is another photo showing the choker being modelled by my dress form and I also forgot to say that the deadline to enter the draw for a piece of my handmade jewellery is tomorrow so, if you haven't already entered but would like to do so, don't forget to leave a comment on my post of 12th July. The winner will be announced on 1st August.

14 Comments:

  • At 12:41 pm, Blogger T said…

    There isn't any stopping you now! How you will find time to knit and make this lovely jewellery I don't know :)

    Your one skein parcel is lovely isn't it? Having yarn spun and dyed for you is very special.

     
  • At 2:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That Chocker is just WOW!!!! And the Yarn is Yummy. I am sure you will make something delicous with it!! (why do I always compare yarn with foodyness??))

     
  • At 3:51 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    That yarn is SO SO SO SO SO yummy. I wish it was possible to stroke yarn online...

     
  • At 4:57 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    Gorgeous handspun, such beautiful colours. And the choker is amazing, I love the design.

     
  • At 8:23 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said…

    Love the choker and the swap package is fantastic!

     
  • At 8:43 pm, Blogger PBnJ said…

    Very lovely choker. What kind of wire did you use? (You're so talented! :))

     
  • At 10:28 am, Blogger KnitYoga said…

    Nanatoo, the jewellery takes very little time to make compared to knitting so I think I'm satisfying my IG factor with it!

    Thanks, Dreamcatcher and Sue!

    Silvia, I'm thinking that I might buy some handspun in a plain contrasting colour to go with the two lovely skeins that my pal spun for me and make a top in something like one of Jan Eaton's ripple stitch patterns. It's so lovely that I want to make something with it that I will wear a lot.

    Daisy, if you're still coming to our next MK meeting, you may well get a real (non-virtual) feel of the yarn as I'll bring it along especially for you to fondle! ;-)

    pbnj, the wire is just 28 gauge craft wire so you can get it from craft shops or internet craft suppliers. I got some from our local Hobbycraft although they had a limited colour range (about six colours I think) And thanks for your compliment. I'm not especially talented but I do persevere! ;-)

     
  • At 12:32 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    What a gorgeous parcel from your One Skein pal - just a delicious yarn.

    I am so in love with that choker! Can't wait for you to open up your e-shop!

     
  • At 1:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your pal really knows how to spoil you with such beautiful yarn!! And spun especially for you! That's so yummy!!

     
  • At 5:45 pm, Blogger Rain said…

    What lovely yarn, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    The choker is exquisite, it looks wonderful. Hurry up and open this shop!

     
  • At 11:05 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Happy Blogiversary - it is today isn't it?

     
  • At 1:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a gorgeous gift! And your choker is fabulous - clever lady :-)

     
  • At 10:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, this yarn is so gorgeous, I love those beautiful shades - really yummy indeed! And the choker is so absolutely amazing, I really love the design and can't believe how talented you are!

     
  • At 10:08 pm, Blogger Piglottie said…

    Lucky, lucky you! That yarn is absolutely gorgeous - and I agree with Daisy, we need online feelovision!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home