KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Scarves, Choc Ice and Funky Feathers!


Thanks for all the comments on the jewellery. I seem to have become quite addicted to playing about with beads and baubles and my bead stash is gathering apace. In fact, on Saturday we went to Brighton again and, of course, I couldn't resist calling in at Beads Unlimited especially as I wanted to buy some rattail for Celtic Knot jewellery. Rattail is a rather ugly name for a cord that is, in fact, very lovely being satin and shiny!


I intend to teach myself Celtic Knotwork and I made a start on Sunday except, what do you know, I didn't get everything I needed such as, for instance, PVA glue. So, I started off with a basic Celtic Knot ring using a Turk's Head Knot but was unable to finish it as I didn't have the glue. Here it is in its unsealed and unglued state!


Apparently, this ring is ideal for lovers as it represents the interweaving of their lives and futures. There are various other knots to learn such as the Button Knot, the Braid Knot, Figure of Eight Knots and Interlaced Knots. For one of my first projects, I'd like to make a Button Knot necklace which is basically beads separated by spacers and Button Knots.

I also made a couple more pins and a choker. This one I called the 'Funky Feather' Pin. Here's a close up.


And here's another shot showing how it looks as a scarf pin.


But never mind about the pin. What about that scarf!! This is one that Tina has sent to go towards the charity craft fair. It's Midwest Moonlight from the Scarf Style Book knitted in Rowan Cotton in the bilberry colourway. Isn't it just lovely?! So, we're having no more of Tina denigrating her knitting skills and hiding her light under a bushel and then producing a magnificent scarf like this, are we?

And, as if that wasn't enough, she also sent another gorgeous scarf - Wavy! Here it is below knitted in the same bilberry colourway of Rowan Cotton which is luxuriously soft!


Thanks, Tina, you're a star!

At the weekend, I also made another green and amethyst pin to replace the one I sent to Louise as a late birthday present and below is another shot of the gorgeous Midwest Moonlight scarf closed with the pin.


I think I may start a photo gallery in Flickr showing all of the items that people have knitted and donated to the charity craft fair as there's quite a collection by now. Here's the most recent moebius scarf that Mary-Lou has donated.


Chunky chokers are very much 'in' at the moment - the type with randomly placed beads and pendants of various sizes and lengths. So, I decided to make one in browns and blues and called it 'Choc Ice'.


It actually looks much better worn with a low neckline but that's very difficult to achieve with a dress form that is sized so that there's a gap in the middle of the bust which keeps swallowing up the central pendant!! Unfortunately, the photo below turned out a bit on the dark side but, nevertheless, here's another shot!


By the way, if you haven't done so yet, don't forget if you leave a comment on my previous post, you'll be entered into a draw to win a piece of my handmade jewellery or stitchmarkers.

I'VE FINISHED THE BEADED LACE SCARF. YAY!!!!! It now just needs blocking and then I'll post a photo. I need to write to Jackie at Heartstrings as I'd like her permission to sell it at the charity craft fair. I'm also carrying on with the Long Top but am thinking that I need to knock up a quick baby cardi as the next meeting of the charity craft fair organisers is in a week's time and, Sharon, the main lady, has just had a baby girl, Fern!

*** STOP PRESS *** Word on the street has it that a new UK knitting magazine is due to be launched on 24th August. The title is 'Knit Today' and it's being produced by the same people who do the 'New Stitches' embroidery magazine. Reports are that it will be aimed at more advanced knitters!

Lastly, I'd like to leave you with this poem which was sent to me by Val who was reminded of it by my 'Evergreen' Necklace. Val is the lady mentioned on the Posh Yarn site in relation to the lovely free Sea & Shells Stole pattern. The title of the poem is 'Overheard on a Saltmarsh' and it's by Harold Monro.

OVERHEARD ON A SALTMARSH

Nymph, nymph, what are your beads?

Green glass, goblin. Why do you stare at them?

Give them me.

No.

Give them me, give them me.

No.

Then I will howl all night in the reeds,
Lie in the mud and howl for them.

Goblin, why do you love them so?

They are better than stars or water,
Better than voices of winds that sing.
Better than any man’s fair daughter,
Your green glass beads on a silver ring.

Hush, I stole them out of the moon.

Give me your beads, I want them.

No.

I will howl in the deep lagoon
For your green glass beads, I love them so.
Give them me. Give them me.

No.

14 Comments:

  • At 4:57 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Ahhh - have been hearing about this new magazine in all kinds of places, but you seem to be the first to actually come up with a name for it ...!

     
  • At 6:42 pm, Blogger Piglottie said…

    What a wonderful poem to perfectly match your gorgeous beads. Beautiful stuff as ever.

     
  • At 7:12 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    The new knitting magazine sounds very promising, I'm looking forward to it! Tina's scarves are just fantastic aren't they :-) I'm already planning on doing Wavy but Midwest Moonlight is also going on my list now! BTW where do you get the pins for the scarf pins, do they come with the little twisted loops already formed? Have you seen Chinese knotting, I have a book that has all sorts of wonderful jewellery ideas based on all the ancient knots, a craft that very nearly died out.

     
  • At 8:58 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said…

    Cherry, the ends of the ring were very deftly hidden away and stayed that way for just long enough for me to take the photo. LOL

    Mary-Lou, I found the info. on Angel Yarn's forum.

    Thanks, Piglottie!

    Dreamcatcher, Tina's scarf making has also got me fired up about Midwest Moonlight, too! The pins came from the Pink Palace in Maidstone near where I live and, yes, they do have the twists in them already. I've been reading about Chinese Knotting as well. Apparently, there are a lot of similarities between the Celtic Knotwork and the Chinese.

     
  • At 9:21 pm, Blogger Fred said…

    Looking at the orange yellow ring it looks like the texture is similar to a rat's tail. Tails are scaly rather than smooth - ask Gibber and Ish if you don't believe me ;0)

     
  • At 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It all looks wonderful. You are such a talented Lady:)

     
  • At 10:03 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    A new knitting magazine sounds wonderful. I am deeply in admiration of not only your knots (!) but the poetry too. The only knots I can make are the unintentional ones that try to form when I'm turning a skein of yarn into a ball.

     
  • At 8:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This poem is so lovely, and certainly matching your amazing beads perfectly! You're doing such a fantastic job with it, I'm so impressed with the pics of your work! And I really, really love the Celtic knotwork!

     
  • At 11:27 am, Blogger Rain said…

    Tina is such a dark horse with her knitting, it's amazing.

    The jewellery is gorgeous as always, especially the chunky choker. I can't wait to see more of the knotwork.

    Yay for new knitting magazines. Fingers crossed it's decent.

     
  • At 8:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those scarves are beautiful, Hazel. Will you be able to part with them? ;) Tina's so terribly generous to give them away.

    The pin is fab! x

     
  • At 11:30 pm, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I love all the knitting. I recently purchased a book on drawing celtic knots, and it's so much easier than it looks. i hope you have fun creating the knots.

     
  • At 9:35 pm, Blogger Charlotte Frost said…

    I adore the pins you are making with hearts (hearts are a small obsession of mine), but I also love the celtic knotted ring you've just made, it looks incredible. Usually I'm not that big a fan of celtic symbols, but in those modern (dare I say slightly kitsch) colours, they look fab!

    I've been reading your blog since I started my own in April and I'm always stunned by how prolific you are. I myself have just started soap making (first batch curing as we speak), and I used to make beaded amulet purses, but your abilities are well beyone mine.

    Looking forward to your next year of blogging!

     
  • At 11:17 am, Blogger acrylik said…

    The celtic knot ring is a lovely idea, I like the way it's turned out.

    Yup, our Tina is a wonderful knitter and very generous too - those scarves are just fabulous.

     
  • At 11:31 am, Blogger MissLucy said…

    the celtic knotwork is so beautiful, will be interesting to see more of it. You really have been bitten by a jewellery bug, havent you!? I love the choc ice choker, browns and blue or turqouise is a fantastic colour combination. Gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home