KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Christening Shawl


For my Knitting Olympics Challenge, I've decided to go for a christening shawl which my niece would like as she's expecting her second baby at the end of February/beginning of March. I didn't want to put too much pressure on myself by opting for an Heirloom Shawl along the lines of one of Sharon Miller's designs as I think completion in 16 days might be cutting it a bit fine! However, I did have six or seven shawl patterns that I got in the Designs closing down sale. Most of them I thought were a bit too simple but two showed promise of presenting something of a challenge given the timeframe within which the project should be completed.

I've sent them as email attachments for my niece to choose which one she would like (hopefully she will like one of them). They are both Sirdar patterns but I thought as the shawl is to be a christening shawl, I'd knit it in something a bit more special such as Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. My personal favourite of the two is this one. This one has a centre, a border and an edging but is slightly smaller than the other.

To view detail, click to enlarge

The other one I picked out as a possibility is this one which is a bit larger than the one I prefer but only has a centre and an edging (no border). I know it looks as if it has a border as well as edging but, in actuality, it doesn't.

To view detail, click to enlarge

Which one do you prefer?

In the unlikely event that I finish the shawl with time to spare, I'm going to challenge myself further by attempting to also complete a pair of socks (the first I will ever have knitted!) and I already have the sock kit sitting in the drawer patiently waiting to be tackled!

Thanks to JenLa for the Great Britain Olympic Knitting Team button designed for the use of us Brits which is now sitting prettily in my sidebar next to the Yarn Harlot's one!

UPDATE: Since publishing this post, I'm beginning to wonder if the shawls in the patterns are meant to be christening shawls? Are there any special requirements for a christening shawl? For instance, should it be knitted in laceweight yarn or would it be okay in 4ply? Also, should it be a particular size and so on? Any suggestions???

11 Comments:

  • At 7:46 pm, Blogger AmyP said…

    Re: baby blankets.
    I'd go with the first one. If you already prefer it, go with that feeling! You don't want to end up half way through the other one mumbling "should have picked with other one". :)

     
  • At 8:23 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    They are both beautiful, and I think you might have gone slightly mad ;-)

     
  • At 11:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I reckon that the shawl used when the baby is christened is a Christening Shawl - if it's handmade, with love, and beautiful as well, then I'm sure your niece will love it. They are both gorgeous and I think either would be lovely.

    On the subject of slightly mad - I swatched one of my baby sweaters this evening - just _how_ much do I think I can do in 16 days. Arrrggghhhh!

     
  • At 12:20 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    I think I like the second one best, but they're both lovely (sorry, no help at all am I?!)

     
  • At 3:31 pm, Blogger Sharon J said…

    I prefer the first, but it'll be interesting to hear what your niece thinks. I really don't think a Christening shawl has any particular requirements. If they have, then I certainly haven't heard of them. If your niece chooses the first shawl, you could always thread some pretty ribbon through the eyelets to make it even more special. ~Sharon

     
  • At 6:02 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    Well, I'm off to my nephew's christening on Sunday and I haven't heard anything about requirements for shawls! (and no, I haven't made him one, I thought he was a bit old!)
    Both of your possible patterns look lovely though - especially if done in baby Cashmerino...

     
  • At 10:40 am, Blogger Sweetpea4kids said…

    That's a beautiful challenge you've given yourself for the Olympics. I'm with you all the way. My preference goes with the first one.

     
  • At 11:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I also think you are slightly mad - but, then, you do knit quite fast!

    Good luck - and i like them both.

     
  • At 3:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi - I am going to be no help at all! My step daughter's first baby is due about the same time - Feb/March- and I have also decided to do a shawl. However, I think a christening shawl has to be really special and I am going to do mine in 2 ply lace weight shetland wool in a really fine lace design. It looks really dificult but it is just basic stitches and concentrating on the pattern. A garter square is knitted in the middle from corner to corner from 3 cast on stitches and increased with w.o.n. at the start of each row to create loops on each side then one side at a time is picked up and knitted. Then the points are knitted on from 17 cast on stitches. I can let you see the pattern if you like. This is the second one I have done and it is easier than it looks. It is a lacy froth when finished

     
  • At 6:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Both shawls are lovely. I'm sure your niece would be proud to adorn her baby in either of them.

    I'm looking for patterns for Christening Shawls. I'm a very experienced knitter/crocheter. I'd like to make one for my grandson's upcoming Batism, but haven't located any nearly as lovely or intricate as you have posted. Can you help me locate patterns or direct me to where you found your patterns, please?

    JanH

     
  • At 5:45 pm, Anonymous Pat said…

    I have been trying to find these two patterns since I saw them on your blog. How can I find them? They are the prettiest I have seen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home