KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Bags, Beads, Bookcases and Bad, Bad Tee Shirts!


What a gorgeous sunny day it's been today so I took advantage of the sun and spent some time tidying up the garden. Later on, DH and I worked on the WWKIP Day tee shirts. That wasn't so good but I'll come to that later.

Knitting wise, I've got a bit further on with the Beaded Lace Scarf. It's quite slow going as the Posh Yarn laceweight is very fine. I'm really pleased with the way it's turning out though and the PY knits up beautifully.


I'm thinking that this might make a good raffle prize at the Charity Craft Fair and the colour is entirely appropriate as one of the cancer charities that will benefit is Breast Cancer. I'll need to get permission from the designer first though and that's Jackie from Heartstrings, I believe.

The goodies for the Charity Craft Fair stall continue to grow and have been added to by Dreamcatcher who has donated a beautiful boa, a photo of which is on her blog. Thanks, Louise!

The Laurel Burch bag below (which I'll be using as a knitting bag) arrived from Woolly Workshop on Saturday along with the matching clutch also pictured below.


I've been wanting a knitting bag for ever so long but all of the ones I was interested in seemed so expensive. When I saw Tina's Laurel Burch bag, I really liked it and was pleasantly surprised at the price. Tina said she didn't mind me being a copycat so I went ahead and ordered one. Would you believe that I ordered it on Friday afternoon and it arrived about eighteen hours later! I reckon Gill at Woolly Workshop must live right next door to the Post Office! Fantastic service anyway and now I don't have to go to knitting group with a load of carriers any more like a bag lady!

Yesterday I went bag lining hunting again. I'd already made one attempt when Mary-Lou and I met for lunch. We were both looking for bag linings in Maidstone C&H Fabrics. Mary-Lou found the most beautiful silk lining for her bag but I wanted green and wasn't so lucky as there was nothing there that shouted out at me to buy it. I was more fortunate yesterday at C&H at Tunbridge Wells and found a silk remnant at half the original price and the shade, I think, is just right. Here it is in the photo below with the bag (handles still to be attached). . . . .


. . . . . and here's a close up of the silk lining.


At long last, we have some more bookcases and all the piles of books everywhere around the place can now have homes (until these bookcases are filled up as well, that is!


Only the three book cases on the left are new. The one on the right had to be emptied of books (some of which are pictured in the pile below) so that we could move it along to make way for the new unit. Now I can get some sort of organisation going with the knitting books and magazines I've acquired over the last year as well as all the other books that need shelf space. We also have books stored in boxes in the attic which can again see the light of day. Some will be going to Freecycle but, I may, after being influenced yet again by that temptress or perhaps I should say enabler, Tina, also join Bookcrossing.


As for the WWKIP Day tee shirts, suffice to say that the Canon transfers didn't meet expectations. We spent a frustrating afternoon practicing on old tee shirts and spoiling a couple of new ones into the bargain as the transfer only came out clearly on white material. Even when we changed the design so it had a white background, the effect was very muted. In the end, we had to go back to Plan A and use the W H Smith transfers.


We did, however, get the design to look less like a patch stuck on (which is, let's face it, basically what it is) by adding a white surround to the design. I think it's a slight improvement.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:30 pm, Blogger T said…

    I dunno, but the t-shirts look just great on the photos, you must be seeing something in real life that doesn't show here :)

    The Beaded Lace is just beautiful and a great idea for the fair because of that pretty colour.

    Glad you love your bags. I think Gill is wonderful.

    Ooh, that silk is gorgeous and so's the bag it's destined for.

    I covet your bookshelves!!! We have most of our books in boxes in the garage because we are so short of space, which is one reason I think bookcrossing is good for me :) Trouble is, it looks as if I might be gaining more books than I am giving, lol.

     
  • At 12:36 am, Blogger MissLucy said…

    the beaded scarf is just breathtaking! Loved your new knitting bag!

     
  • At 1:48 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    I love the colour of the PY yarn and the lace is just beautiful. It will make a wonderful raffle prize :-)

    I'm also in awe of the silk fabric both you and Mary-Lou have found, makes me want to rush out and buy some just to look at!

    We have so many bookshelves already, they are all full :-D Have fun organising your book stash!

    I agree with Tina, the t-shirts look absolutely fine from here especially with the bold white border around the logo :-)

     
  • At 8:31 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Lots of lovely things to look at in this post, Hazel. Love that lining, and the new knitting bag (is it big enough for that ball of i-cord for next Saturday?). The T-shirt looks good, great idea about the border - helps it all to stand out nicely - let me know how much I owe you for postage btw.

     
  • At 8:37 am, Blogger Rain said…

    The beaded scarf is so beautiful.

    I love the new knitting bag, you'll look very sophisticated at your SnB.

    The silk for the lining is absolutely gorgeous and just right for the bag.

    The T-shirt looks a lot better with the white border.

     
  • At 2:42 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    The scarf is beautiful, it is progressing so well.

    I made a T-shirt transfer for the last craft fair I did, and was a bit diappointed with the results too, I think it's just the way these things go. The T-shirt looks fine from here, anyway!

    Oh, do join Bookcrossing, I've been a member for a while now and just love to leave books in random places for people to find!

     
  • At 3:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gosh, your shawl looks so fine already! And the Laurel Burch bag, wow, such a colorful, great design, and it seems to be big enough to be able to hold all that a knitting girl needs, doesn't it?
    Fantastic bookshelves that you got, now, I'd love to see a pic of them when you stored all your books in there!

     
  • At 8:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The scarf looks breathtaking!!. And just like the others said the Tshirts look okay from here.
    Would love the scarf pattern can you tell me where I can find it? i seem to have yearning for lace!!

     
  • At 9:25 am, Blogger Woolly Wormhead said…

    I haven't yet found a t-shirt transfer paper (for inkjet or laser printers) that gives the results I'd like. They always feel sooo plasticy... and some peel off real quick! The ones for white fabrics are slightly better, but still not great. Oh well ;)

    And loads of yummy things going on here, Hazel! x

     
  • At 10:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that bag lining is perfect! That is going to be such a classy number.

    Ah, bookshelves... we have run out of shelves, walls, floor space... I am jealous.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home