KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Licenced to Knit!


At last we've got the venue confirmed for Worldwide Knit in Public Day. We're going to be in the Chequers Centre (main shopping mall in Maidstone). I'm told that the licence will be emailed to me today when I'll also find out exactly where we've been placed at which time I'll add an update to this post. Any other knitters in the area, please come and say hello (not forgetting to bring yarn and needles, of course!) Everything is now being frantically organised and here's the ball of i-cord I've made to knit with on the gigantic needles.


I'm dead chuffed with it! It was made on the Prym i-cord mill and then wound on my new wool winder to make this neat 100g ball of i-cord! At first it was a bit frustrating as, once you get past a certain length, the twist that forms as the i-cord's made can't untwist itself due to the length. Cynthia of UKHK, however, came to the rescue and suggested I wind what was already made into a ball and wrap an elastic band around the ball. This worked a treat as the twist then unwound itself back to the ball and the i-cord in the ball stayed straight.

On WWKIP Day, we'll be knitting on everything ranging from ordinary knitting needles to chopsticks to two foot long needles to gigantic four foot long ones and some will also be using french knitters. Hopefully, this will grab people's attention. Our WWKIP Day T-shirts are printed and we'll have examples of a varied range of different knitted items on our table for people to see as well as a basket of different yarns to show examples of the many fibres available (wool, silk, cashmere, cotton, angora, mohair, synthetics, etc), novelty yarns (eyelash, ribbon, etc) and variegated, self striping, and self patterning yarns. A selection of knitting magazines will also be at hand for people to peruse. From this, those who are not already aware can see how knitting has taken off and the amount of choice and the sheer diversity available these days. The object is to try to get people fired up about knitting and we'll be on hand with spare yarn and needles and whatever else is required for those who'd like to learn to knit, crochet or use the Sirdar Loopa. We're hoping also to be able to teach children how to finger knit and our skills are being honed in readiness!

We're all sorting out knitted items for our display and I'm including the Birch shawl and clapotis that I knitted for my MIL and which she has kindly loaned me for the day. She's also loaned me a few of her preemie knits. This one's my favourite!

Photo to follow as Blogger is being mean and won't let me upload any more photos at the moment.

It has to be seen in reality to appreciate just how very teeny weeny it is but believe me it is extremely tiny!

Knitting-wise, the beaded jacket and the beaded lace scarf are both steadily progressing. I've also been doing a bit more jewellery making.

Photo to follow.

Presently I'm working on another four stranded wire necklace which uses crimp beads to attach the beads to the wire and a necklace using eyepins which is a little bit more advanced. It's fun!

UPDATE: Blogger is still having problems so again haven't been able to post photos. Our pitch will be in the Clinton Cards area. I believe that this is on the top level but need to check this. We'll be there from 9am to 4.30pm and I've informed the Kent Messenger, the Downs Mail and Maidstone Adscene. All three papers appeared to be interested so we shall see. Hopefully, the event will drum up some good publicity for Maidstone Knitters. I'm now beginning to get "stage fright" at the thought of it all and knitting in public with those massive knitting needles. Must go and practice!!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been trying to place a comment for ages hopefully this works. Good luck with the WWKIP i be with you in spirit ( I am working) Apparently it ws mentioned on TV this morning as well!!

     
  • At 8:01 am, Blogger T said…

    What a lot you've done, I hope it all goes well and you have fun, fun, fun! :D

     
  • At 10:02 am, Blogger Seahorse said…

    Your plans for WWKIP day are superb! Hope it all goes well :)

     
  • At 11:39 am, Blogger Rain said…

    Best of luck for the day, I'm sure it will go brilliantly.

    The I-cord looks fantastic and I hope to see pics of you knitting with it.

    Have fun

     
  • At 3:18 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    I wish I had been able to organize something for WWKIPD! But manage to get a drop spindl lesson...so I guess that will have to be enough. Have a wonderful time! I may sit out in front of my house the rest of the evening and knit so at least I'll be somewhat public!

    I have to admit I'm not shy about knitting in public anyway!

    Have a great time. I love the yarn you have made yourself to use! Will look forward to seeing what you make of it...if Blogger starts behaving itself!

    Dawn
    www.craftyorcrazy.blogspot.com
    www.roomswithbooks.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home