KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Another Donation!


Here is the most recent donation for the Cancer Charities Craft Fair to be held in the Tithe Barn at Lenham on Saturday 18th November (not long now!!).


Louise, from Knitty in Pink, knitted and donated it! Isn't it lovely! It's nice and long, very soft and squishy and the corsage does make a nice finishing touch, doesn't it! Thanks again, Louise!

Talking of scarves, I finished the Mariel's Crystals scarf in the Japanese Feather stitch but now I'm in a quandary over how to block it as the label says "Dry Clean Only". The yarn is composed of pure silk and Swarovski Crystals so I'm assuming that it's something to do with the crystals. Maybe it's just the manufacturer being ultra-cautious as it's such an expensive yarn. The other thing I thought it may be to do with is the way the crystals are plied into the yarn. You have to be very careful to make sure you pick up the extra thread with the crystal on as you're knitting otherwise it would have the effect of looking as if the crystal was hanging, rather than knitted in, if you know what I mean. So, maybe if the scarf was fully immersed, this could stretch those separate strands in the plies that the crystals are on and make it look like the crystals were hanging. Here's a photo of the yarn to give you a clearer idea of what I mean.


I've pulled the plies apart a bit so you can see more clearly.

So, unless somebody has a better idea, I'm thinking of pinning it out, giving it a light spray, covering it with a towel and hoping it works.

Other than that, knitting-wise, I'm about half way through a baby jumper for our gardener's new baby son and, as he appears to be growing at a rate of knots, I'd better be getting on with it!

11 Comments:

  • At 4:33 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    That pink scarf is just stunning! Someone will be very lucky to have it. And your idea sounds plausible, but I'd check with others...I've never knitted with beads, nor used such wondrous yarn!
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 6:16 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    You took a far better photo of the scarf than I managed! :-) Something to do with tha elusive "daylight" methinks :-)

    I think your idea of spritzing the scarf sounds sensible, but I have no practical experience of this type of yarn!

     
  • At 7:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a beautiful scarf .I've heard of the Tilli Thomas but never seen it .It looks perfect for a bead lover .

     
  • At 9:34 pm, Blogger T said…

    I love that scarf, it's a beauty.
    Looking forward to seeing your sparkly one too.

     
  • At 9:29 am, Blogger Rain said…

    I can't wait to see your scarf, the yarn is absolutely stunning.

    The scarf from Louise is gorgeous, the corsage really sets it off, such a pretty colour too.

     
  • At 11:07 am, Blogger Piglottie said…

    Can't help on the blocking front I'm afraid, but can't wait to see a pic of the finished scarf as those beads look lush!

     
  • At 1:28 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    I like the close up shot of the yarn - I wasn't sure how the crystals were attached to it!

     
  • At 12:14 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Hazel, from something I've been reading recently, the problem eith silk (and why they always say 'dry clean only') is not because you can't wash silk, but rather due to the dyes not being quite colourfast ... if you have a small scrap left, might be worth washing (gently!) and testing whether the colour runs?

     
  • At 10:09 am, Blogger acrylik said…

    Louise's scarf is gorgeous - if I was down at your fair I would snap it up!

    Looking forward to seeing a picture of your Tilli Thomas scarf.

     
  • At 10:39 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    I think your blocking suggestion sounds like it will work fine. The only other way I could think of to do it would be to cover it with a damp cloth for a couple of hours and then remove the cloth to let the scarf dry naturally.

     
  • At 11:04 am, Blogger Hawkesley said…

    The pink scarf is gorgeous!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home