KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Disappointed


Well, I finally got around to blocking the Japanese Feather scarf in the Mariel's Crystals. I blocked it exactly as recommended by Tilli Tomas (thank you, Luciana, for making the enquiry for me!) I pinned it out on a towel, covered it with another towel, lightly steam blocked it and then left it to dry. The lace pattern was opened up and the wavy edges well defined.


However, the weight of the crystals combined with the already heavy drape that silk naturally has means that, when worn, the whole thing is pulled down causing both the edge and pattern definition to be lost to an extent which is a bit of a disappointment.


At the moment, I haven't the heart for it but I think later on I may unravel it and make a shoulder wrap instead. This way, I think most of the drape will lie in a different direction to the knitting so the weight may not be such a problem.

Other than the scarf, I finished the itty bitty little 16" chest jumper for our gardener's new baby.


The pattern is Wills from RY Classic Babies Book Four. I'm also knitting something else to my own design which I'll tell you more about later.

There are now only two weeks to go before the Cancer Charities Craft Fair. Preparations are proceeding apace and the event will be opened by the Mayor. Kate Hunter from Cancer Research is also expected to be present. If you're in the area, don't miss it! It's going to be held in the lovely 14th century Tithe Barn at Lenham . . .


. . . and there will be a variety of craft stalls selling mainly unique items including pottery and ceramics, handmade felt items, glass and silver fusion jewellery, handspun yarn from someone we all know and love (but I'll let her tell you about that) and, of course, the stall with handknitted items where I will be working my socks off selling the lovely items that everyone has donated! There is loads to sell - lots of scarves and boas, shawls, the beaded lace jacket that I designed, hats, sari silk yarn donated by Hipknits and even an entire handknitted aran outfit including sweater and skirt . . .



. . . snood and fingerless gloves donated by Sue of Maidstone Knitters!


Isn't it amazing! Very toasty to wear I would think! The hats and mittens that are also in the photo were donated by Jackie also of our Maidstone Knitters' group.

Items are still being made for donation such as the fun and funky knitted jewellery which you can see if you go to Jan's blog. She's also made some crocheted paperchains to decorate the handknitted items stall!

On Monday, I'll be visiting the Tithe Barn with the others and then going on to Sharon's for the final Committee meeting before the event. Chris has got involved, too, and has been busy making a stand so that all of the items are displayed at their best.

I'm really looking forward to the event as there will be LOTS going on. Entertainment will be on a rolling basis throughout the day and includes a volunteer cast of local musicians with interests encompassing close harmony, jazz and folk music (including Irish). There will also be Morris Dancing, special entertainment for the children and a silent auction as well as a good quality raffle and tombola.

A range of homemade food will be available throughout the day starting with early morning coffee, then lunch and finishing with afternoon tea and cakes. The food is all being provided by Sharon who is the organiser of the event and also the owner of a first rate catering company called Orchids. I can vouch for her culinary skills as she did the food for Chris's 50th birthday party and it was excellent! 50% of the funds generated will go specifically to Breast Cancer and the other 50% will go to Cancer Research.

I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who has donated items to the Craft Fair. You all know who you are and you're the best! Some of those who've donated will be there on the day and, for those who can't make it, there'll be lots of piccies, I promise!!

13 Comments:

  • At 10:03 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    your scarf is absolutely stunning - so sorry that you're not 100% happy with it. The baby sweater is so cute!

     
  • At 8:54 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said…

    Thar's really upsetting about the scarf, could you firm up the wavy edges with crochet?

     
  • At 1:59 pm, Blogger AmyP said…

    Shame about the scarf - it came out really nicely too! :(

     
  • At 3:56 pm, Blogger T said…

    If you're not happy with the scarf it will have to be re-done as the yarn should be made into something you love but put it away for now, you'll be ready for it again one day :)
    I am still hoping we might make it to Lenham.

     
  • At 5:47 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said…

    That's such a shame about the scarf, it looks so pretty. Hope you can make something else that will work out better :-)

     
  • At 9:14 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said…

    Such a shame the scarf didn`t come out as you had hoped (it still looks great to me). I agree with nanatoo, pop it away for a while and one day the yarn will call to you and tell you what it wants to be.

     
  • At 11:45 am, Blogger Rain said…

    I think the scarf looks very pretty, but it deserves to be something you'll love. I hope you find the perfect pattern for it soon.

    How sweet is that itty bitty sweater? The little one is going to look adorable in it.

    I hope everything goes well for the craft fair, if all the hard work is anything to go by, it's going to be a huge success.

     
  • At 1:47 pm, Blogger Seahorse said…

    That's a PITA about the scarf, although I have to say that if you'd only shown a pic of it on the dress form, I'd never have known there was anything 'wrong' with it. I hope it will either grow on you, or that you'll find something that suits the yarn better.

     
  • At 11:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Hazel, just wanted to stop by... long time no speak, eh? I've been up to my eyeballs, but will try and catch up on your blog at the earliest opportuntity. Just wanted to say Hi, really. Hope you're keeping well. Lots of love, Anna x

     
  • At 6:24 pm, Blogger acrylik said…

    Oh, what a real shame about the scarf, but it's best that you use that yarn for something you are going to love, so I can understand why you want to re-use it.

    All the very best for the craft fair!

     
  • At 10:30 pm, Blogger Daisy said…

    What a shame about the scarf, although, I must admit, it looks great to me! ;-) But, yes, sometime you'll have the urge to do something with it and the perfect pattern will come to you!
    Good luck for the craft fair - sounds like it'll be amazing!

     
  • At 7:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    breast cancer yoga

    Here's some useful info on breast cancer yoga which you might be looking for. The url is:
    http://breast-cancer1.com/

     
  • At 11:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Had you thought about making a backing for the scarf of fabric? It would help it hold its shape better, of course, but it would aldo make it a bit warmer. Just a thought.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home