KnitYoga

All rights are reserved on all images and text on this blog.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Estonian Lace Christening Shawl Finished


I've now finished the full-sized version of the Estonian Lace Christening Shawl. Its post blocking size is 54" square which I was pleased about because that was what I had hoped for from my calculations. However, how does one get decent pics of a thing that size?!! Taking pics of the prototype to show it in its full glory wasn't so difficult. Being smaller, it was placed on top of the dining table and I stood on some step ups to get some height in order to show the whole thing laid flat. That way, all the detail is shown at the same time. Now, with this one, I suppose I could lay it out on the carpet and swing from the chandelier whilst juggling my camera if I was (a) of acrobatic inclination, and (b) not heavy enough to bring said chandelier crashing down and me with it not to mention the fact that I might break my much treasured camera! Perhaps, a step ladder is the answer. Anyway, apart from that, the weather is dismal and dark and we're promised continuous rain for the next few days, so the pics below are the best I can do for the moment. All of the pics can be clicked on individually to enlarge them if you want to zoom in.




Originally, I had intended to just follow the prototype adjusting for size by making the centre larger but I decided against this as I wanted the full sized version to keep that 'frame within a frame' look of the prototype. So, I opted for a repeat of one of the borders and an addition of another border incorporating a different motif.


The shawl was worked on 2.75mm Knitpicks metal needles of varying lengths as it grew and I had 1476 stitches to cast off on the final round. It takes 6 skeins of Jaggerspun Zephyr wool/silk laceweight or at least six are needed (I used about 25%-30% of the sixth skein, I think).

A few close ups. (Click on each pic to enlarge further).






I'm delighted to say that I have a whole list of people interested in the pattern (if the substantial wait hasn't caused them to change their minds by now!) mainly from the Yahoo laceknitters group but also some from Ravelry and elsewhere so I've been working on creating a PDF. All of the charts are complete and all of the notes of everything I did to complete the shawl from start to finish scribbled down in my trusty knitnotes book. All, I now need to do is to the put the whole thing together.

26 Comments:

  • At 3:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My flabs are gastered! WUHUUUU! What a knit! Well done!

     
  • At 3:23 pm, Blogger RooKnits said…

    It is absolutely amazing!

     
  • At 3:37 pm, Blogger Nurhanne said…

    Well done indeed!

     
  • At 3:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is truly lovely. I certainly would be willing to PAY for the pattern. Congratulations.

     
  • At 8:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm just echoing the other comments, but that is truly beautiful - well done!

     
  • At 9:12 pm, Blogger Claire said…

    That is absolutely beautiful - I don't know whether to add myself to the list, or not... I can see myself falling down a beautiful Estonian rabbit hole, lined in lace!

     
  • At 9:35 pm, Blogger gilraen said…

    WOW!!!!!!! Fabulous!!!!!

     
  • At 9:55 pm, Blogger kathryn said…

    That is really really lovely! Fantastic!!

     
  • At 9:02 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh wow. So awesome! It is so beautiful.

     
  • At 9:35 am, Blogger acrylik said…

    What a beautiful heirloom shawl. It is absolutely amazing and a feast for the eyes. I loved looking at everything in detail, thanks for taking all those lovely close ups too.

    Loved the description of how to get the best photo ;)

     
  • At 10:26 am, Blogger Jenn said…

    That is BEAUTIFUL! Really truly and honestly BEAUTIFUL!

     
  • At 12:45 pm, Blogger Saira said…

    Hazel that is beautiful. I can't find the words to say how amazing it is!

     
  • At 12:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is stunning absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous....looking forward to the pdf!!! Happy kniiting.

     
  • At 1:32 pm, Blogger MandellaUK said…

    That's a truly lovely piece of knitting and I think you photographed it really well. But I feel your pain on the photography issue. I've resorted to standing on a chair before now.

     
  • At 2:46 pm, Blogger Sweetpea4kids said…

    wow, your shawl is stunning. Fab work!

     
  • At 8:24 pm, Blogger MissLucy said…

    it's a work of art - absolutely stunning! congratulations!

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Blogger Nana Sadie said…

    GORGEOUS!
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 10:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, I just love your lace work, it's always so stunning and inspiring. I just love it!!

     
  • At 2:15 am, Blogger BadCatDesigns said…

    Beautiful work!

     
  • At 5:11 pm, Blogger Robin said…

    The shawl is just gorgeous! What a wonderful heirloom knit!

     
  • At 6:42 pm, Blogger Mary said…

    Lovely!! Looking forward to the pattern.

     
  • At 5:42 pm, Blogger Tina - omme i London said…

    Hazel, you are so damn talented! The shawl is so beautiful I just can't find words adequate to describe it!
    Well done you on a beautiful piece of work - oh, and on NOT breaking you neck, camera and chandelier in the process either. :)

     
  • At 8:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    definately interested in this pattern. It is incredible. when will we know about how to get it?

     
  • At 11:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow - did I say wow
    beautiful and well designed and well knit.
    love to try the pattern when you get it ready - not sure my skills are up to it but I will certainly try

     
  • At 1:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely chuffing beautiful. I haven't seen such a lovely piece of work for a long time. Congratulations!!

    I look forward to the pattern becoming available as I would like to have it in my archives ready for any future grandbabies :o)

     
  • At 6:39 pm, Blogger Sharon said…

    how can I get on the list? Lovely design. different than any other lace pattern I have seen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home