I've now finished the full-sized version of the Estonian Lace Christening Shawl. Its post blocking size is 54" square which I was pleased about because that was what I had hoped for from my calculations. However, how does one get decent pics of a thing that size?!! Taking pics of the prototype to show it in its full glory wasn't so difficult. Being smaller, it was placed on top of the dining table and I stood on some step ups to get some height in order to show the whole thing laid flat. That way, all the detail is shown at the same time. Now, with this one, I suppose I could lay it out on the carpet and swing from the chandelier whilst juggling my camera if I was (a) of acrobatic inclination, and (b) not heavy enough to bring said chandelier crashing down and me with it not to mention the fact that I might break my much treasured camera! Perhaps, a step ladder is the answer. Anyway, apart from that, the weather is dismal and dark and we're promised continuous rain for the next few days, so the pics below are the best I can do for the moment. All of the pics can be clicked on individually to enlarge them if you want to zoom in.
Originally, I had intended to just follow the prototype adjusting for size by making the centre larger but I decided against this as I wanted the full sized version to keep that 'frame within a frame' look of the prototype. So, I opted for a repeat of one of the borders and an addition of another border incorporating a different motif.
The shawl was worked on 2.75mm Knitpicks metal needles of varying lengths as it grew and I had 1476 stitches to cast off on the final round. It takes 6 skeins of Jaggerspun Zephyr wool/silk laceweight or at least six are needed (I used about 25%-30% of the sixth skein, I think).
A few close ups. (Click on each pic to enlarge further).
I'm delighted to say that I have a whole list of people interested in the pattern (if the substantial wait hasn't caused them to change their minds by now!) mainly from the Yahoo laceknitters group but also some from Ravelry and elsewhere so I've been working on creating a PDF. All of the charts are complete and all of the notes of everything I did to complete the shawl from start to finish scribbled down in my trusty knitnotes book. All, I now need to do is to the put the whole thing together.